Pages

Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Come and Join the Rebellion!


While walking along the cliffs on my way back from Lidl (yes, I get to walk along cliffs to get to Lidl, it's awesome) I saw a guy in the caravan park throwing a ball for a dog. I recognised the guy from my youthful, drinking days - I didn't know his name but I remembered that my friend and I used to call him Rebel. I couldn't think why; he doesn't seem very rebellious now (although his dog kept refusing to give him the ball back, so I guess his dog is a bit of a rebel) and I couldn't recall him doing anything rebellious when we used to speak to him in the pub. Saying that, I do remember him and his friend Steven Tyler (so named by us because he had hair like Steven Tyler from Aerosmith) dressed in dog outfits once, which is a bit rebellious, and is also giving this post a bit of a dog theme.

Anyway, I asked my friend, who reminded me that he used to call us rebels. And as we didn't know his name, we named him Rebel. Wow, I thought. I was a rebel once. Or so Rebel thought. When did I stop rebelling? Have I grown old and boring? But then it occurred to me that I'm now a bigger rebel than I ever was at 18.

Me at 18: newly inked tattoos, pierced tongue and lip, dyed hair, combat trousers, quirky jewellery, obscure indie bands, pints of Guinness, a bit of an attitude. I was cool, y'know. I was a rebel.

Except I wasn't, really. I was at that awkward teen/adult phase where I was trying to find my place in the world. And in true teen style I tried to fit in by not fitting in. And I wasn't rebelling in the truest sense of the word. I wasn't wrecking the place, and I was still polite to people. Just a bit aloof, because I knew so much more about life and the world than them, they just didn't realise it yet.

What does it mean to rebel? To me, it's not about overthrowing the government, it's about being who you are and not conforming to what people expect. Rebelling is making the decision not to have children because you don't want to, in a society that expects you to. Rebelling is sitting on a bench at the beach and writing in your notepad, not caring if people think you're crazy or not. Rebelling is positioning your camera perfectly at the edge of the railings to get a cool shot, ignoring the fact there are people walking past and wondering what type of crack you're smoking*. Rebelling is making a point of talking to the guy at work that all the other guys shun because he's from a poor family and doesn't live life the same way they do. Rebelling is saying 'I don't get it' when someone makes a blatant homophobic joke. Rebelling is telling a dog owner to pick up that turd their dog just left on the pavement. Rebelling is working in a male-oriented sector and commanding (and getting) respect.

I could not have done any of the above at 18. I'll have children one day, because that's what women do. No photographs or writing in public, people will think I'm crazy. And I'm not talking to that guy even though he's a nice guy, because the others might associate me with him and not like me either. That joke isn't funny but I'd better laugh anyway. I hate dog shit on the street but I'm not telling them to pick it up, what if they tell me to fuck off? No way am I working with a load of men, I won't know how to act and what will I do if they make a sexist comment to me?

It's easy to think that as we get older, we lose that 'cool'edge that our younger selves had. But in reality, the older we get, the more comfortable we get with ourselves and who we are, and that's when the rebellion really starts.

Join the rebellion! What do you do to 'rebel' that you wouldn't dare do when you were young and 'cool'?

*I doubt anyone even notices me doing these things, but as we all like to be the stars in our own lives, its easy to assume that everyone in the world is obviously interested in what I'm doing.


8 comments:

  1. Love this. I don't feel particularly rebellious but I do feel like I'm completely my own person now instead of nervously trying to be "different" (in a cliched DMs, patchwork, blue hair kind of way). And it's wonderful, getting to a stage where you don't question your every move and every mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. There's a lot to be said for being in your 30s....

      Delete
  2. I'm not rebellious - just a bit odd. I was probably more rebellious as a teenager, because I deliberately didn't do what all the cool kids, who thought they were rebels, did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, odd sounds awesome. And I'd say that definitely sounds more rebellious than those who were trying to rebel :)

      Delete
  3. Just wanted to say that I am loving your writing so much at the mo! Everything you post, I'm frantically nodding in agreement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thank you so much :) Glad you agree, hopefully that means I'm making sense (either that or we're both crazy...)

      Delete
  4. I really love this post, what a great way to look at rebellion. I guess I do quite a lot of gender-based/equal rights rebellion through my blog and through calling people out on their inappropriate/discriminatory behaviour. Whether people notice the things you are doing or not (my guess is that they probably do), it's great that you feel that you are challenging things. It's such a healthy way to be! I'm proud of your rebellion, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do find that the older we get the more comfortable we feel in our skins and the more confident we become at just being ourselves and caring less about what we think.

    I always love it when people don't care about what others think, not in a nasty way, we all try and abide to being civil and kind to one another hopefully. But instead of worrying what people think of the decisions we are making or the quirky things we are doing such as hanging off railings we just enjoy being ourselves.

    Carry on rebelling!xx

    ReplyDelete